What Exactly Is A Heavy Duty Cam Lock?
Locking mechanisms known as cam locks have the shape of an L and are typically used to secure cabinets, lockers, and other enclosures. They are made up of two primary components: a keyed nut that is cylindrical in shape and a tongue bar (also known as a cam). After the enclosure has been fitted, it can be secured by putting a key into the former part and turning it counterclockwise.
The Operation of Cam Locks
There are numerous variations of the cam lock, but the mechanism behind each one is fundamentally the same. Cam locks are always positioned on the front face of an enclosure, right in front of the door. The front of the cam lock will continue to be flush with the front of the enclosure in which it is installed once it has been installed.
The usage of a key is required for locking and unlocking cam locks at all times. When a key is inserted into a cam lock and turned, the tongue bar will shift its position, indicating that the lock has been unlocked. When you turn the key, the tongue bar will either move to the side or it will go up and to the vertical position, depending on which position you choose. The enclosure can be secured by dropping the tongue bar to the side, which will do so. On the other hand, the cage will be unlocked when the tongue bar is positioned in a vertical position.
How to Choose Cam Locks: Some Important Information
When selecting cam locks, you should take the material into consideration. There are several varieties of cam locks, each manufactured of unique material. Cam locks are typically crafted from zinc alloy, which is a popular choice of material. Any metallic material that consists of zinc plus at least one other metal is referred to as a “zinc alloy,” and this word can be applied to any of those materials. For instance, brass is an alloy that contains zinc, and it’s a material that’s frequently utilized in the production of cam locks.
If you intend to purchase a number of cam locks, it is recommended that you have all of them keyed the same. When cam locks are “keyed similar,” it indicates that one key will open all of the locks in the set. No matter how many cam locks you purchase, you won’t have to worry about losing track of multiple keys even if you get a dozen or a hundred of them. All of the cam locks can be locked and unlocked with the same key if you so choose.
There are some cam locks that do not need a key, despite the fact that the majority of them need one. It is the purpose of these devices, which are often referred to as keyless thumb-turn cam locks, to prevent the front of cabinets and enclosures from opening. They will not safeguard you against theft. Despite this, some people favor keyless thumb-turn cam locks because of the simplicity with which they can operate them.
LATCH.IT 1-1/8” RV Storage Locks | 5-Pack RV Utility Cam Lock
When compared to other RV compartment locks, the LATCH.IT 1-1/8” RV cam lock is made entirely of metal and utilizes safer tubular cam lock keys while other RV compartment locks are made of softer metals, which rust easily, and use conventional keys.
This heavy duty cam lock is able to withstand the elements of the great outdoors with ease thanks to the incorporated O-ring, which makes it waterproof.
Only requires a 5-MINUTE installation and saves money by not having to buy additional keys. In addition, enjoy a LIFETIME warranty and 24/7 online support with all LATCH.IT products.
LATCH.IT is a family-owned company based in the United States that is sick of seeing such poor-quality items on the market for recreational vehicles (RVs). The majority of campers and RVs have locks, providing them with the protection you deserve! LATCH.IT made the decision to develop its own products in order to provide users with the quality and peace of mind they require whether camping or driving an RV.
Because camper owners are responsible for the development of every LATCH.IT product, you can rest assured that this company understands exactly what it is that you require because they have been on both ends of the camping experience. You shouldn’t have to worry about your safety or security while you’re on a road trip instead, the experience should be joyous and exciting. Spend less time fretting and more time with the people you care about.
- 100% METAL & use much safer TUBULAR Cam Lock Keys
- All-weather and waterproof
- Ready to install in as little as 5 minutes
- 5 sets of keys provided
- Backed by a LIFETIME warranty and 24/7 Online Support
- Great quality products
- Easy installation
- Safer tubular keys rather than the standard ones on other cam locks
- Reasonable price
- Lifetime warranty
- Need to be extra careful with the sizes because if ordered the wrong ones, it may not fit.
Disc Tumbler Cam Lock 4 Pack with 5/8″ Cylinder and Chrome Finish, Keyed Alike
This disc tumbler cam lock is the most popular lock in the world. It is used for a variety of purposes and has three different variants.
The standard, the high security, and the heavy-duty. The standard variant has 4 pins that are arranged in a rectangle with one pin at each corner and one pin in the middle of each side. The high-security variant has 6 pins that are arranged in a hexagon with one pin at each corner and one pin at each side. The heavy-duty variant also has 6 pins but they are arranged in a triangle with two pins on every edge.
- It comes with two keys (Key Code 644) and is keyed alike, so each key will work in every lock
- Non-key retaining
- Provides a wide range of installation possibilities
- At 3, 6, 9, and 12 o’clock, the cam can be mounted on the lock and opens with a 90-degree turn
- Stop cam that can be reversed
- The CH751 universal locks on our outside access doors were perfectly replaced by this set
- An adjustable wrench and a Phillips screwdriver are all you need to get started
- Strong and made to last a lifetime.
- The threads don’t come apart as easily as others.
- Reasonably priced
- The keys provided could have been made better
Admiral Locks 5/8” Tubular Cam Lock
Your outdated locks can be replaced with increased security for any type of storage thanks to the Admiral Locks Tubular cam locks. Admiral Locks Tubular cam lock allows you to withdraw the keys with ease, whether you’re locked or unlocked.
Drilling a 3/4-inch hole and replacing an old lock should take no longer than five minutes by installing the tubular lock and bolts, and then tightening them all together. The tubular cam lock from Admiral Locks has a cylinder length of 5/8″ and can accommodate materials up to 3/8″ in thickness.
This 3/4-inch-diameter standard-size cam lock may replace your outdated RV or vending machine lock.
The 1-11/16″ straight and stop cams, as well as a 1-11/16″ straight nut, are included with each lock. The zinc alloy tubular lock has a chrome-plated finish. Each lock comes with two identical keys, allowing you to access any lock purchased from this listing with the same key.
Many customers have given this lock five-star evaluations, so you know it’s of high quality.
- Fits up to a thickness of 3/8″ (9.5mm)
- Come with two keys, a stop cam, a 1-11/16″ straight cam, and a 1-11/16″ cam nut
- Zinc alloy is used in its construction because of its durability,
- Regardless of whether or not the door is locked, the keys can be removed
- It shouldn’t take more than five minutes to change out an outdated lock
- Once it’s put together, the cart is sturdy and stable enough to support my 62-inch flat-screen TV
- There are no misalignments or sloppy finishes anywhere on the cart
- Fasteners required for assembly are available, properly labeled, and working
- The adjustable height is an advantage for different viewing angles
- Additionally, we were able to conceal the wires and cables by threading them between the upright poles
- The braking castor wheels are also smooth
- Once installed, it can be difficult to line up the locks.
Smbbit Cabinet Key Cam Lock Tubular Cam Lock
The Smbbit Cabinet Key Cam Lock Tubular Cam Lock is made of high-quality zinc alloy to ensure durability and security. It comes with keyed alike keys which means that one key will open all of the locks. Included with this package are two cam locks and four keys. For security purposes, the keys may be taken from the lock both while it is locked and when it is unlocked because it is a tubular cam lock with a chrome-plated surface. This cam lock is most suitable for wardrobes, file cabinets, shoe cabinets, and RV storage compartments.
- Made of heavy-duty zinc alloy
- Keyed alike key system
- Tubular cam lock, chrome-plated surface
- Keys can be removed from the locked and unlocked position
- There were no issues with the installation of these locks.
- The tubular design ensures security
- Zinc allows material is strong and sturdy
- Fits most cabinets and RV storage boxes
Thee quality of the keys provided could use a little more improvement